Thursday, July 31, 2008

Books Rock

I didn't read much for a long time but the last few months I've been reading again and enjoying myself immensely. Here are some of the books I especially enjoyed...just cuz.

Kitchen Confidential: A hilarious and thought provoking book. Parts are Hunter Thompsonesque...other parts just make you hungry. Bourdain's love of food will make you want to follow him around snatching his left-overs - or learn how to cook yourself.

Of Human Bondage: A very real book that's basically a slightly fictional autobiography. Maugham talks about love in ways that I've never heard from anyone else but that make a lot of sense. He talks about how every love between two people has an inherent inequality - one of them must love more. I've noticed that only people who are very lucky escape this trap.

The Time Traveler's Wife: Science fiction that doesn't at all feel like science fiction. It feels very real, very affecting and seems very much like part of my life. A strange and wonderful love story.

Into The Wild: I took awhile to get into this book but I loved it once I did. It looks at the questions of freedom and escape in modern society. After reading this I wanted to just take off on my bike and see where I went for a couple months.

No comments: